So yesterday was the Civil War, the annual rivalry game between Oregon and Oregon State. As I discussed earlier on this blog, an Oregon State win would have sent the Beavers to the Rose Bowl for the first time since 1964.
The Beavers won't be going to the Rose Bowl for the first time since 1964.
It wasn't what you might call a good game if you're a football fan. It was a great game if you like scoring. Final Score: Oregon 64, Oregon State 38.
OSU could never stop the Ducks and gave up more long scoring plays than I think I've ever seen in one game. It was something else. But here's the part that bothers me.
I understand that this is a rivalry game and typically the biggest game of each team's season. I grew up a big Oregon State fan and was really bummed about the loss. I've pulled for the Beavers to beat the Ducks in every Civil War for the last 22 years. But it's never been about screwing the Ducks out of their goals.
I've always wanted the Beavers to win for the Beavers' sake: For bragging rights, for a better bowl berth, for pride. Dee Andros called it for "the right to live in the state of Oregon." That's why each team should want to win.
What I don't understand is the mindset of Oregon receiver Jaison Williams on denying the Beavers their first trip to Pasadena since Jackie O was still Jackie K.
"To go out and ruin somebody's dreams like that, it feels real good," he said.
Feels good to ruin somebody's dreams? Hey, I'm all about it feeling good to beat a team. To trample a team. To beat a team senseless. But do it for a reason that's righteous. Not to ruin their dreams.
What Williams should have said, or at least should have thought, was, "It's a great feeling to win this game. They're our rivals and this is one of the biggest victories of my career, because there was so much on the line. But we still feel for them, they were on the verge of doing something special and I know they're over in they're locker room hurting real bad."
That would have been too classy for Williams who, incidentally, had just one catch as he ruined the Beavers dreams.
That would have been too classy for Williams who, incidentally, had just one catch as he ruined the Beavers dreams.
Yes, I'm bitter about my team losing, but I also think I'm right. At least not all Ducks showed as little tact after the game as Williams. Defensive coordinator Nick Alliotti must have known this blog post was coming.
Next stop: El Paso.

2 comments:
when they asked me for a quote i said "I am just happy to see William Oram's dreams ruined."
You crack me up. Had the tables been turned and Oregon was to go to the Rose Bowl and OSU beat them and some random player on OSU said that, you would have laughed your ass off.
I'm determined that Bob Stoops' entire purpose is to ruin people's lives. Everyone, not just Texas.
Post a Comment